Ay yall remember that movie Spike Lee did called 'School Daze'? This was my movie back in tha day. Back when The Cosby Show era was huge and everybody wanted to be like the Cosby kids (80s babies stand up!) I was siced about gettin a college education all thanks to my parents, Spike, & Bill. But I didn't realize the message in the movie until I started attending college back in like 99'. I went to Morgan State University, and there were plenty of issues like this goin on when I thought the dark skin vs. light skin thing was over. I was listening to Russ Parr today and they were talkin bout it. This dude was amazed because he saw that a dark skinned young lady was apart of the AKA sorority. Which I thought was jus stupid. But it's crazy cause me being a fairly light skinned sista, I hear that a lot. People feel that dark skinned sistas should ONLY be Zetas and light skinned sistas should ONLY be AKAs. Or if we see a light skinned female with a light skinned guy...we may not say it but we're thinkin 'dag....they are too light to be with each other' or 'they not gonna last cause they two light skinned'. Or it might the opposite if they are dark skinned. Cause I don't know about yall but my mama and other relatives would always have that mind-set about dark skin or light skin. So let me know what yall were taught or what your thoughts are on this.

Views: 34

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It still exists and it is evident and clear IMO. I have family from all different ends of the spectrum I think it is shallow and ignorant to be concerned about complexion I find beauty in people af all shades just as I find ignorance in people of all shades.
I am a Louisiana native, and if you have ever been here you know that there alot of "Creoles"... I am a brownish red color, I haven't fully tanned yet, so I could still pass the "paper bag" test (LOL)... Down here (yeah I said it) it varies, there are some people that want to keep the family bright, so they encourage the light-light matchups... I know men that will only date light skin/long hair, no matter how cute she isn't...
My mom on the other hand is yellow, the yellowest of her siblings, and grew up during the desegregation times - she was was too light for the black kids, and too dark for the white kids, and swore she wouldn't have what she called "colorless" kids... She wishes that I were a little bit darker, but was very pleased when 9 years later she got a dark brown bundle of joy in my brother... She and her siblings also faced racism from their own extended family... My paternal grandfather is from Waynesboro, GA and his children were the ONLY light skinned grandchildren... (true story: when my uncle was born, my great-grandmother took off all of his clothes to look him over to VERIFY he was my grandfather's because he was so light!!!!) And there was an aunt that referred to them as "The Yalla Kids"... and here in Louisiana, things aren't much different... My grandmother's kids are the only ones that lost the "good hair" gene, because my grandmother didn't marry a "good-haired man" (their words, not mine)... Of the 6 yellow kids ( all are yellow) one of my aunts is slightly darker than the rest, she is often referred to as "the dark one" LOL!!!

Whew...
There is a bunch of this in my family but I am happy that it is dying with the older generation. My grandfather is "mixed" and my father is the darkest of his children... the way he ridiculed my father about being his darkest child was awful. He must have forgot that while his mama is white his daddy was as black as they come.... I have promised myself to end this vicous cycle I will not pass on the ignorance to any children I may have in the future. It starts at home and within....
As long as ignorance exits there will be people favoring or disfavoring a person soley based on color. Black folk aren't the only ones doing it. Colorism spans through minority races everywhere. I don't think people will ever rise above it.
I have a cousin... she married a dark man, she had one child and stopped because he was light... the light son married another cousin of mine ( they are cousins too, long story), she isn't light, but she difinitely isn't dark, but she stuck to him like glue because he was so light, and she didnt want dark children... those are two of the darkest kids in the family... the daughter is beautiful, deep chocolate with "good hair"... I get so pissed cause a couple of the "lightbrights" always tell her she is pretty to be so dark... No, she is just pretty. Case closed...
Yea that was a lot gurl lol....but yea I love me some Louisiana and there is a big emphasis on being too light or too dark. Dammit! When will our color complexes and self-hatred end?!
Goes back to the slave mentality... We as a people have to LET IT GO... hating on our own gives permission for others to do the same...
^5
I'm more Martin Luther King when it comes things like colorism. Take the high road.
stop talking about me......
Are you related to me....My mom is from LA......
My mom is a creole thorobred....do you speak patua?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect

BallerBoards

Meet ups and Events in Philly/ NJ Area

Started by BrownSkin Beauty. in Talk Ish. Last reply by LB&Company 22 minutes ago. 12 Replies

Hello,My name is Kapreecia, better known as Pree. I live in Philadelphia, PA and it's always something going on in this city or around. I'm 21 at the moment and it's kind of hard to find friends who…Continue

Tags: networking, parties, events, nj, brown

Lil Kim's Baby Girl Is Adorable

Started by RubyWoo in Talk Ish. Last reply by BlkBarbie 5 hours ago. 7 Replies

Earlier today, Lil Kim showed…Continue

New Couple Alert: LHHH's Yung Berg and Masika

Started by RubyWoo in Talk Ish. Last reply by BlkBarbie 5 hours ago. 5 Replies

This dude stays smashing a…Continue

Latest Activity

Niko Rose commented on Eleven8's blog post Can You Really Be A Baller In Your Designer Knock-Offs?
"True. I say wait. I'd do a shoe if it's inspired versus being a knock off. Ball within…"
20 minutes ago
LB&Company replied to BrownSkin Beauty.'s discussion Meet ups and Events in Philly/ NJ Area
"I'm a college student too and I don't turn 21 until May but I'm from New Jersey and…"
22 minutes ago
Asimplebijou commented on Eleven8's blog post Groupie Tales - Nick Young Will Give You $300 & Possibly A Good Time
"Lmao,I remember this one. I died with the "I have good news and bad news""
31 minutes ago
Tone commented on Eleven8's blog post Can You Really Be A Baller In Your Designer Knock-Offs?
"Not a damn thing wrong with it. Most people buy s*** they can't afford so they are no…"
34 minutes ago
Kitty B. commented on Eleven8's blog post Groupie Tales - Nick Young Will Give You $300 & Possibly A Good Time
"This sounds about right and he looks like he carries on like a child....but damn less than…"
41 minutes ago
Niko Rose commented on Eleven8's blog post Can You Really Be A Baller In Your Designer Knock-Offs?
"I don't wear fakes. I like shoes no matter the designer ,but fakes give me desperado."
46 minutes ago
BlkBarbie commented on Eleven8's blog post Groupie Tales - Nick Young Will Give You $300 & Possibly A Good Time
"I remember reading this one....smh"
54 minutes ago
Toya johnson commented on Eleven8's blog post Groupie Tales - Nick Young Will Give You $300 & Possibly A Good Time
"Thats what she gets and whats wrong with being dark??. He look like he a kid anyways lol. I believe…"
1 hour ago
napturalappeal is now a member of Baller Alert.com
1 hour ago
SoLuscious commented on Eleven8's blog post Can You Really Be A Baller In Your Designer Knock-Offs?
"@sean I agree w everything you said....beauty supply store??? So sad."
1 hour ago
RubyWoo's 2 events were featured
1 hour ago
Eleven8 shared their blog post on Twitter
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video