http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-parenting/post/salecia-johns...

Just as Fairfax County schools is considering major changes to its much-maligned disciplinary policies, a story about a Georgia 6-year-old suggests that zero-tolerance policies remain entrenched across the country — and can lead to evermore bizarre scenarios. Salecia Johnson is shown at her home near Milledgeville, Ga. Police handcuffed the kindergartner after she threw a tantrum. 
In this instance, a little girl named Salecia Johnson had what seems to be a torrential tantrum in her elementary school class. She apparently threw books and toys, tore at wall hangings and threw a shelf that hit her principal in the leg, according to the Associated Press.
A school official called the police. Yes, the police.
The police arrived. An officer pulled out a pair of handcuffs. He snapped them on the girl’s pint-sized wrists.
Police later told the AP that policy mandates they handcuff everyone who is arrested, regardless of age.
Those policy-following police then put Salecia in a squad car and drove her to the local police station. There, they gave her a soda and decided against not charging her with a crime.
Oh, the humanity.
Salecia’s aunt later told the AP that the experience was “horrifying.”
We have heard this kind of protocol-do-or-die story before.
It’s why parents have been hauled into court for missing the school bell in Loudoun County and why a pregnant mother in Hawaii lost custody of her child overnight because she snacked on a sandwich in Safeway.
It’s also why, much more tragically, a good kid from Fairfax was suspended and later committed suicide, prompting Fairfax schools to review discipline procedures.
The current case is also troubling as it provides more evidence of the trend that the Education Department confirmed in March, that African American students are far more likely to be arrested at school than their white counterparts.
The 1990s saw a rise in zero-tolerance policies and school reliance on police as a response to school shootings. The argument followed that nipping problems in the bud would allow teachers and administrators to keep students not just learning but also safe.
A more subtle argument for knee-jerk disciplinary procedures contend that one-strike rules are needed to train children who no longer receive much discipline at home.
The flipside is that over-reliance on procedure and on police negates discretion. And, especially when it comes to kids and behavior, shouldn’t there always be room for discretion?
Otherwise, you end up with absurd results, like handcuffing a 6-year-old.
What do you think? Are zero tolerance policies ever appropriate in schools? If so, when?

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't they send the child to the principal's office first  and call the child's parent??

She threw a shelf at the principal, I'm not sure why the parents weren't contacted.... Some schools now don't allow administrators and teachers to restrain students so I guess that's why they called the cops?

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

Don't they send the child to the principal's office first  and call the child's parent??

No words!!!

How big is a 6yr old and how heavy is that book shelf?? SMH

Brii said:

She threw a shelf at the principal, I'm not sure why the parents weren't contacted.... Some schools now don't allow administrators and teachers to restrain students so I guess that's why they called the cops?

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

Six Year olds are vicious, Y'all didn't know?? *sarcasm* I can't help but think the child must have some sort of behavioral issues/trauma cause little kids just don't turn into the hulk for no reason
This is sad!!!!! In the LA parish that we live in now, fighting gets you an automatic trip to juvie... A 12 year old was taken there a few years back, and was raped. His parents weren't notified until they started inquiring about why he wasn't home from school...
I wish a meffer would arrest and transport my child without my knowledge!!!! Especially not for having a temper tantrum.
They created a petition for her due to the fact that she now has an arrest record

http://www.change.org/petitions/justice-in-the-handcuffing-and-arre...
She was charged with battery and suspended for the remainder of the school year... WTH

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect

BallerBoards

New York scene same crowd different day? What's new

Started by Nia Cunningham in Talk Ish 22 minutes ago. 0 Replies

Hey mama's,I'm not new to BA, but I lost my old profile login and had to create a new one. Anyway back to the title at hand. The rundown, I have been in a almost 3 year relationship which is at the…Continue

D. Wade and Gabby Work Out Together For Their Wedding

Started by RubyWoo in Talk Ish. Last reply by Brown Skin Beauty 38 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Continue

"Black Life" in Dallas TX

Started by Sheli in Talk Ish. Last reply by Mochacashmere 1 hour ago. 24 Replies

So I was offered a job in Dallas, Texas, I haven't accepted yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to, but here's my gripe, I was telling one of my close friends about it and she immediately told me I…Continue

Latest Activity

BellaDoña commented on Peachkyss's blog post Ballerific Beauty: Christian Louboutin Rouge Nail Lacquer
"Lol!!! Mckenna I'm dying at your post! LmAo so true though."
5 minutes ago
Eleven8 shared Aarynn Denise's blog post on Twitter
17 minutes ago
BellaDoña commented on TDPinkFitness's blog post Ballerific Health: Let her Transformation, Help you Get to Yours
"Wow she does look awesome!"
18 minutes ago
Nia Cunningham posted a discussion

New York scene same crowd different day? What's new

Hey mama's,I'm not new to BA, but I lost my old profile login and had to create a new one. Anyway…See More
22 minutes ago
Eleven8 and Aarynn Denise are now friends
29 minutes ago
Aarynn Denise posted blog posts
30 minutes ago
Aarynn Denise's 2 blog posts were featured
30 minutes ago
Brown Skin Beauty replied to RubyWoo's discussion D. Wade and Gabby Work Out Together For Their Wedding
"Starting...he always looked old me...hehehe "
38 minutes ago
Mochacashmere replied to Sheli's discussion "Black Life" in Dallas TX
"Congrats on the new job! I've been to Dallas several times and it seems like a great…"
1 hour ago
DiamondsNPearls commented on Eleven8's blog post Phoenix Suns Baller Arrested For "Super-Extreme DUI"
"Why should people automatically lose their careers and livelihood for one mistake? You pay your…"
1 hour ago
Tyesha Alston commented on Eleven8's blog post Kim Kardashian Comes For Adrienne Bailon "So Sad When People Try To Kick My Brother When He's Down"
"Yea Kim needs to sit down on that one Rob didn't make her relevant she had something of a…"
1 hour ago
JustMe commented on Eleven8's blog post Baller Mail - How I Lost My Daughter To Depression
"Depression is real..."
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video