http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-parenting/post/salecia-johns...

Just as Fairfax County schools is considering major changes to its much-maligned disciplinary policies, a story about a Georgia 6-year-old suggests that zero-tolerance policies remain entrenched across the country — and can lead to evermore bizarre scenarios. Salecia Johnson is shown at her home near Milledgeville, Ga. Police handcuffed the kindergartner after she threw a tantrum. 
In this instance, a little girl named Salecia Johnson had what seems to be a torrential tantrum in her elementary school class. She apparently threw books and toys, tore at wall hangings and threw a shelf that hit her principal in the leg, according to the Associated Press.
A school official called the police. Yes, the police.
The police arrived. An officer pulled out a pair of handcuffs. He snapped them on the girl’s pint-sized wrists.
Police later told the AP that policy mandates they handcuff everyone who is arrested, regardless of age.
Those policy-following police then put Salecia in a squad car and drove her to the local police station. There, they gave her a soda and decided against not charging her with a crime.
Oh, the humanity.
Salecia’s aunt later told the AP that the experience was “horrifying.”
We have heard this kind of protocol-do-or-die story before.
It’s why parents have been hauled into court for missing the school bell in Loudoun County and why a pregnant mother in Hawaii lost custody of her child overnight because she snacked on a sandwich in Safeway.
It’s also why, much more tragically, a good kid from Fairfax was suspended and later committed suicide, prompting Fairfax schools to review discipline procedures.
The current case is also troubling as it provides more evidence of the trend that the Education Department confirmed in March, that African American students are far more likely to be arrested at school than their white counterparts.
The 1990s saw a rise in zero-tolerance policies and school reliance on police as a response to school shootings. The argument followed that nipping problems in the bud would allow teachers and administrators to keep students not just learning but also safe.
A more subtle argument for knee-jerk disciplinary procedures contend that one-strike rules are needed to train children who no longer receive much discipline at home.
The flipside is that over-reliance on procedure and on police negates discretion. And, especially when it comes to kids and behavior, shouldn’t there always be room for discretion?
Otherwise, you end up with absurd results, like handcuffing a 6-year-old.
What do you think? Are zero tolerance policies ever appropriate in schools? If so, when?

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't they send the child to the principal's office first  and call the child's parent??

She threw a shelf at the principal, I'm not sure why the parents weren't contacted.... Some schools now don't allow administrators and teachers to restrain students so I guess that's why they called the cops?

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

Don't they send the child to the principal's office first  and call the child's parent??

No words!!!

How big is a 6yr old and how heavy is that book shelf?? SMH

Brii said:

She threw a shelf at the principal, I'm not sure why the parents weren't contacted.... Some schools now don't allow administrators and teachers to restrain students so I guess that's why they called the cops?

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

Six Year olds are vicious, Y'all didn't know?? *sarcasm* I can't help but think the child must have some sort of behavioral issues/trauma cause little kids just don't turn into the hulk for no reason
This is sad!!!!! In the LA parish that we live in now, fighting gets you an automatic trip to juvie... A 12 year old was taken there a few years back, and was raped. His parents weren't notified until they started inquiring about why he wasn't home from school...
I wish a meffer would arrest and transport my child without my knowledge!!!! Especially not for having a temper tantrum.
They created a petition for her due to the fact that she now has an arrest record

http://www.change.org/petitions/justice-in-the-handcuffing-and-arre...
She was charged with battery and suspended for the remainder of the school year... WTH

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect

Latest Activity

TheLadyJosephine commented on Rachel L. Hill's blog post Ballerific Sports: Be On the Lookout for Richard Sherman
"Any kids?  "
13 minutes ago
TheLadyJosephine commented on Eleven8's blog post Keyshia Cole Dating Birdman & Gets Arrested For Assaulting Woman At His Condo
"What in the Sam Hill Hell...Keisha is DATING Birdman?  I can not with this today!   "
16 minutes ago
Formally Known as Ginger replied to RubyWoo's discussion Ballerific Comment Creepin - Wale Gets Criticized Again for Not Supporting Meek Mill
"Man people need to let that go. So what if he didn't/doesn't support dude Meek is an…"
57 minutes ago
MsMaryMac commented on MsMaryMac's blog post So... Which One of You is The Fork?: Heteronormative Conformity
"Exactly, the details don't matter which is how I've been able to reach people without…"
2 hours ago
Niko Rose commented on MsMaryMac's blog post So... Which One of You is The Fork?: Heteronormative Conformity
"The subject of homosexuality always amazes me. Not so much the lifestyle, but the opinion on the…"
2 hours ago
Denise Love commented on MsMaryMac's blog post So... Which One of You is The Fork?: Heteronormative Conformity
"I agree with Tone. It's not normal because it's just not how science was set up. I…"
2 hours ago
Asimplebijou commented on Asimplebijou's blog post Morning Wood: Angel Perez (Model)
"@Niko you calling him Buttaface. Lmao"
2 hours ago
Lisa Tuck commented on Lisa Tuck's album
Thumbnail

Watch AC Milan vs Juventus Live Stream Online Free Italian Serie A

"How To watch AC Milan vs Juventus Live Online Italian Serie A match? You get links from this site.…"
3 hours ago
Lisa Tuck commented on Lisa Tuck's album
Thumbnail

"Watch AC Milan vs Juventus Live Stream Online Free Italian Serie A 09/20/2014…"
3 hours ago
Tone © replied to RubyWoo's discussion Ballerific Comment Creepin - Sheneka Adams
"Like 25 and 30 looks different"
3 hours ago
Tone © commented on MsMaryMac's blog post So... Which One of You is The Fork?: Heteronormative Conformity
"People can do what they want to do but don't try to make something abnormal normal."
3 hours ago
Lisa Tuck posted an album

Watch AC Milan vs Juventus Live Stream Online Free Italian Serie A 09/20/2014 and enjoy Watch AC Milan vs Juventus Live Streaming Free Online Game Soccer PC TV Video Free, AC Milan vs Juventus Live Online Match Instant Streaming Internet TV Free, AC…
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video