Cornell West & Raheem Devaughn Arrested For Protesting

Raheem Devaughn and Cornell West was arrested in front of the Supreme Court yesterday for protesting for Occupy DC.

========

Occupy DC is a peaceful grassroots movement that are fed up with the current political and economical system in this nation. We are an independent branch from occupytogether.org and occupywallst.org but carry the same terminology and philosophy. Occupy DC focuses on spreading the idea of Occupy Together and Occupy Wall Street in our nations capital Washington DC.

 

Why?

  • 45 million Americans depend on food stamps.
  • 14 million (9.1%) Americans are officially recorded as unemployed.
  • 1 out 5 children lives in poverty in the United States.
  • In 2010 14.5% (1 out of 7) of households were food insecure.
  • In 2010 46.2 million Americans live in poverty, up from 37.3 in 2007.
  • 15.4 live in extreme poverty (income less than half of the poverty line, or less than $10,000 a year for a family of four).
  • 45 million (1 out of 7) Americans don’t have medical insurance.
  • Corporations have huge influence in financial institutions our government. They donate million of dollars to our politicians which in return make laws that favor them.
  • Corporations have the same legal rights as a person- Corporate personhood.
  • According to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., bank profits in the first quarter of this year were “the best for the industry since the $36.8 billion earned in the second quarter of 2007.” JP Morgan Chase is currently pulling in record profits.
  • Due to the failure of small competitors and mergers facilitated during the 2008 crisis, the nation’s biggest banks — including Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, and Wells Fargo — are now bigger than they were pre-recession. Pre-crisis, the four biggest banks held 32% of total deposits; now they hold nearly 40 percent.
  • Banks, including Bank of America, Barclays, Goldman Sachs, and Credit Suisse, are planning to lay off tens of thousands of workers.
  • The four biggest banks issue 50 percent of mortgages and 66 percent of credit cards: Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo and Citigroup issue one out of every two mortgages and nearly two out of every three credit cards in America.
  • The 10 biggest banks hold 60 percent of bank assets: In the 1980s, the 10 biggest banks controlled 22 percent of total bank assets. Today, they control 60 percent.
  • Banks cost households nearly $20 trillion in wealth: Almost $20 trillion in wealth was destroyed by the Great Recession, and total family wealth is still down “$12.8 trillion (in 2011 dollars) from June 2007 — its last peak.”
  • Big banks don’t lend to small businesses: The New Rules Project notes that the country’s 20 biggest banks “devote only 18 percent of their commercial loan portfolios to small business.”
  • Big banks paid 5,000 bonuses of at least $1 million in 2008: According to the New York Attorney General’s office, “nine of the financial firms that were among the largest recipients of federal bailout money paid about 5,000 of their traders and bankers bonuses of more than $1 million apiece for 2008.”

Tags: cornell west, raheem devaughn

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im surprised no one has commented on this post yet,  occupy wallstreet has actually turned in occupy the  planet! lol it has spread to Tokyo,London,and other us cities.People are tired being out of work and the banks keep coming up with these outrageous fees...People just want to be heard I guess...

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues. No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

The biggest issue in the USA is bank reform. How did the gov't let these people get away with these outrageous mortgage terms without going unchecked??

I read "Arrested" and thought what else is new? lol Then I came back and read the whole title. Wow! Good for them! I love the fact that this is going global and just as I thought there are a few violent protests here and there. It is gonna get worse before it gets better and the wealthy, no rich, but wealthy folk have no one but themselves to blame.

Shaq = rich

The guy who pays Shaq = Wealthy

$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues.  No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

That's what I told my friend last night, and that's where blogs/twitter/FB comes in. If blogs ignore entertainment for a day and focused on that there will be a true change.

CCDreamer aka Eve Davis said:
$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues.  No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

1. has he been released? 2. do i need to send some dr. bronner lavendar soap to where he's being held?
He bet not be in there making them tingle...

maxwells_musze said:
1. has he been released? 2. do i need to send some dr. bronner lavendar soap to where he's being held?
It is coming $picey. Give it time. Too many people still comfortable with the status quo. Still satisfied debating instead of doing something. Change is coming.

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:
That's what I told my friend last night, and that's where blogs/twitter/FB comes in. If blogs ignore entertainment for a day and focused on that there will be a true change.
CCDreamer aka Eve Davis said:
$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.
OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues.  No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

So THIS IS THE CHANGE Obama was talking about. It took a blk prez to give the world some balls? No wonder they want him out of office. lol

Y'all better give the Dems the majority they need in 2012 to make these changes a reality.

CCDreamer aka Eve Davis said:

It is coming $picey. Give it time. Too many people still comfortable with the status quo. Still satisfied debating instead of doing something. Change is coming.

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:
That's what I told my friend last night, and that's where blogs/twitter/FB comes in. If blogs ignore entertainment for a day and focused on that there will be a true change.
CCDreamer aka Eve Davis said:
$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.
OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues. No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

And back to Cornell West, he understands the hurdles our Prez is facing (getting the rich to pay more taxes, which is what they're protesting for)  and still he goes in on him. He should be using his platform to education the public on how politics really works.
He won't do that. That means less money for Cornell if he's not out causing a ruckus. Why be amongst the people who cannot pay you for your wisdom when you can get on TV, talk trash about the POTUS and get paid to do it. I think some black revolutionaries can't handle having a black president. You can still fight the establishment without putting Obama down. He is not the cause of America's current problems, but you can get out there and find support to help the president fix things.

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:
And back to Cornell West, he understands the hurdles our Prez is facing (getting the rich to pay more taxes, which is what they're protesting for)  and still he goes in on him. He should be using his platform to education the public on how politics really works.

i completely agree!

Ms. Ashley Banks said:

He won't do that. That means less money for Cornell if he's not out causing a ruckus. Why be amongst the people who cannot pay you for your wisdom when you can get on TV, talk trash about the POTUS and get paid to do it. I think some black revolutionaries can't handle having a black president. You can still fight the establishment without putting Obama down. He is not the cause of America's current problems, but you can get out there and find support to help the president fix things.
OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:
And back to Cornell West, he understands the hurdles our Prez is facing (getting the rich to pay more taxes, which is what they're protesting for)  and still he goes in on him. He should be using his platform to education the public on how politics really works.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect


BallerBoards

Mimi & Nikko Got Paid...

Started by Baller Alert in Talk Ish. Last reply by JustMe 11 hours ago. 11 Replies

100k for the Scandal In Atlanta P0rn TapeContinue

Tags: nikko, mimi, bbwatl

B. Scott Loses Lawsuit Against BET

Started by Baller Alert in Talk Ish. Last reply by University of Smitty 20 hours ago. 12 Replies

BET can dress its hosts however the hell it wants -- even if that means forcing a transgender person to dress like a man -- and that's why the judge threw out B. Scott's discrimination lawsuit.TMZ…Continue

Tags: scott, b

I usually date only white women...

Started by AllyNWonderland in Talk Ish. Last reply by Diwan Moor 21 hours ago. 66 Replies

This isn't really for advice, just a recent story.I met this guy, we'll call him Tom. Tom is a divorced black 37 year old fire fighter with a 2 year old son and I spoke briefly on the phone and he…Continue

Phone sex

Started by Purplerain in Talk Ish. Last reply by Diwan Moor 22 hours ago. 7 Replies

Hello all!Y'all I need help lol. So I've been dating this awesome guy and things are progressing nicely. Sometimes our schedules don't permit us to be physically with one another so recently he…Continue

Latest Activity

Peachkyss posted blog posts
16 minutes ago
Peachkyss's 3 blog posts were featured
16 minutes ago
Spencer Blohm posted a blog post
25 minutes ago
Spencer Blohm's blog post was featured
25 minutes ago
Eleven8 commented on Eleven8's blog post Kevin Durant Sued By The Woman Who Books His Groupies' Flights & Hotels
"an entrepreneurial spirit pays more than anything. it's not about connections or education.…"
26 minutes ago
Chocolate Dream commented on Peachkyss's blog post Baller Alert's Hit or Miss: Jennifer Lopez In Rachel Zoe's Pre-Fall 2014 Tweed Mini Dress and Gianvito Rossi Thigh High Boots
"I personally think she's too old to be wearing dresses that short, but she's still…"
27 minutes ago
Charlene commented on Eleven8's blog post Kevin Durant Sued By The Woman Who Books His Groupies' Flights & Hotels
"connections pay you a lot more than education so silly."
10 hours ago
Down South Diva commented on Eleven8's blog post Kevin Durant Sued By The Woman Who Books His Groupies' Flights & Hotels
"lmao @ "assorted chocolates""
11 hours ago
JustMe replied to Baller Alert's discussion Mimi & Nikko Got Paid...
"She can't say s*** about Joseline anymore..."
11 hours ago
BriJa might attend Eleven8's event
Thumbnail

MIA - Young Jeezy & Kenyon Martin @ Bamboo 4/20 at Bamboo Miami

April 20, 2014 at 10pm to April 21, 2014 at 5am
12 hours ago
SEASONED $PICE PINE NEEDLE replied to Baller Alert's discussion Mimi & Nikko Got Paid...
"WOW! That clip on WSHH got 18mil hits"
13 hours ago
Felisha Johnson commented on Eleven8's blog post Groupie That Left Her Kids In The Car To See T.I. Concert Is Pregnant Again
"There are women out there with issues who can't have children, but women like this keep…"
13 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video