Cornell West & Raheem Devaughn Arrested For Protesting

Raheem Devaughn and Cornell West was arrested in front of the Supreme Court yesterday for protesting for Occupy DC.

========

Occupy DC is a peaceful grassroots movement that are fed up with the current political and economical system in this nation. We are an independent branch from occupytogether.org and occupywallst.org but carry the same terminology and philosophy. Occupy DC focuses on spreading the idea of Occupy Together and Occupy Wall Street in our nations capital Washington DC.

Why?

• 45 million Americans depend on food stamps.
  • 14 million (9.1%) Americans are officially recorded as unemployed.
  • 1 out 5 children lives in poverty in the United States.
  • In 2010 14.5% (1 out of 7) of households were food insecure.
  • In 2010 46.2 million Americans live in poverty, up from 37.3 in 2007.
  • 15.4 live in extreme poverty (income less than half of the poverty line, or less than $10,000 a year for a family of four).
  • 45 million (1 out of 7) Americans don’t have medical insurance.
  • Corporations have huge influence in financial institutions our government. They donate million of dollars to our politicians which in return make laws that favor them.
  • Corporations have the same legal rights as a person- Corporate personhood.
  • According to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., bank profits in the first quarter of this year were “the best for the industry since the $36.8 billion earned in the second quarter of 2007.” JP Morgan Chase is currently pulling in record profits.
  • Due to the failure of small competitors and mergers facilitated during the 2008 crisis, the nation’s biggest banks — including Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, and Wells Fargo — are now bigger than they were pre-recession. Pre-crisis, the four biggest banks held 32% of total deposits; now they hold nearly 40 percent.
  • Banks, including Bank of America, Barclays, Goldman Sachs, and Credit Suisse, are planning to lay off tens of thousands of workers.
  • The four biggest banks issue 50 percent of mortgages and 66 percent of credit cards: Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo and Citigroup issue one out of every two mortgages and nearly two out of every three credit cards in America.
  • The 10 biggest banks hold 60 percent of bank assets: In the 1980s, the 10 biggest banks controlled 22 percent of total bank assets. Today, they control 60 percent.
  • Banks cost households nearly $20 trillion in wealth: Almost $20 trillion in wealth was destroyed by the Great Recession, and total family wealth is still down “$12.8 trillion (in 2011 dollars) from June 2007 — its last peak.”
  • Big banks don’t lend to small businesses: The New Rules Project notes that the country’s 20 biggest banks “devote only 18 percent of their commercial loan portfolios to small business.”
  • Big banks paid 5,000 bonuses of at least $1 million in 2008: According to the New York Attorney General’s office, “nine of the financial firms that were among the largest recipients of federal bailout money paid about 5,000 of their traders and bankers bonuses of more than $1 million apiece for 2008.”

Tags: cornell west, raheem devaughn

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im surprised no one has commented on this post yet,  occupy wallstreet has actually turned in occupy the  planet! lol it has spread to Tokyo,London,and other us cities.People are tired being out of work and the banks keep coming up with these outrageous fees...People just want to be heard I guess...

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues. No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

The biggest issue in the USA is bank reform. How did the gov't let these people get away with these outrageous mortgage terms without going unchecked??

I read "Arrested" and thought what else is new? lol Then I came back and read the whole title. Wow! Good for them! I love the fact that this is going global and just as I thought there are a few violent protests here and there. It is gonna get worse before it gets better and the wealthy, no rich, but wealthy folk have no one but themselves to blame.

Shaq = rich

The guy who pays Shaq = Wealthy

$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues.  No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

That's what I told my friend last night, and that's where blogs/twitter/FB comes in. If blogs ignore entertainment for a day and focused on that there will be a true change.

CCDreamer aka Eve Davis said:
$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues.  No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

1. has he been released? 2. do i need to send some dr. bronner lavendar soap to where he's being held?
He bet not be in there making them tingle...

maxwells_musze said:
1. has he been released? 2. do i need to send some dr. bronner lavendar soap to where he's being held?
It is coming $picey. Give it time. Too many people still comfortable with the status quo. Still satisfied debating instead of doing something. Change is coming.

That's what I told my friend last night, and that's where blogs/twitter/FB comes in. If blogs ignore entertainment for a day and focused on that there will be a true change.

So THIS IS THE CHANGE Obama was talking about. It took a blk prez to give the world some balls? No wonder they want him out of office. lol

Y'all better give the Dems the majority they need in 2012 to make these changes a reality.

It is coming $picey. Give it time. Too many people still comfortable with the status quo. Still satisfied debating instead of doing something. Change is coming.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues. No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

And back to Cornell West, he understands the hurdles our Prez is facing (getting the rich to pay more taxes, which is what they're protesting for)  and still he goes in on him. He should be using his platform to education the public on how politics really works.
He won't do that. That means less money for Cornell if he's not out causing a ruckus. Why be amongst the people who cannot pay you for your wisdom when you can get on TV, talk trash about the POTUS and get paid to do it. I think some black revolutionaries can't handle having a black president. You can still fight the establishment without putting Obama down. He is not the cause of America's current problems, but you can get out there and find support to help the president fix things.

And back to Cornell West, he understands the hurdles our Prez is facing (getting the rich to pay more taxes, which is what they're protesting for)  and still he goes in on him. He should be using his platform to education the public on how politics really works.

i completely agree!

Ms. Ashley Banks said:

He won't do that. That means less money for Cornell if he's not out causing a ruckus. Why be amongst the people who cannot pay you for your wisdom when you can get on TV, talk trash about the POTUS and get paid to do it. I think some black revolutionaries can't handle having a black president. You can still fight the establishment without putting Obama down. He is not the cause of America's current problems, but you can get out there and find support to help the president fix things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect

BallerBoards

Torrei Hart Bitter ?

Started by Skylas the limit in Talk Ish. Last reply by Tone © 18 minutes ago. 9 Replies

Eleven8 just did a article about this but here's a summery of her interview with sister2siter magTorrei Hart, ex-wife of Kevin Hart, held nothing back in a recent interview with Sister 2 Sister…Continue

Maca Root for Energy

Started by SMSLove in Talk Ish. Last reply by Lala25 1 hour ago. 14 Replies

Good Morning Ladies,I’ve been reading about Maca Root and they say it gives you energy. Those of you that’s tried it, did it boost your energy? They also say it makes you happy.I work 12 hour days, a…Continue

American Advice Needed!

Started by Miss Elle in Talk Ish. Last reply by Miss Elle 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Hey ladies (and gents) :)I know I'm not a big poster on here (although I'm a good lurker lol) but I was hoping to get some advice.So I don't live in the US (sadly) but I have the opportunity through…Continue

Tags: study, Georgia, columbia, Carolina, South

Is this photo real?

Started by Moving In Silence in Talk Ish. Last reply by Ginger McKenna 10 hours ago. 2 Replies

I keep reading something opposite of what this pic is showing.

Latest Activity

Shannel Barnes posted a blog post
6 minutes ago
Shannel Barnes's blog post was featured
6 minutes ago
Tone © updated their profile photo
12 minutes ago
Tone © replied to Skylas the limit's discussion Torrei Hart Bitter ?
"why would a man stay with a woman when he knows her actions will chage depending on how much money…"
18 minutes ago
Baller Alert commented on Peachkyss's blog post Ballerific Fashion: The 5th Annual ELLE Women In Music Concert Celebration
"I love kats look"
40 minutes ago
Peachkyss posted blog posts
47 minutes ago
Peachkyss's 2 blog posts were featured
47 minutes ago
ATown SouthernGal commented on Eleven8's blog post Did Dwight Howard Give His Boo Chandler Parsons A Ferrari?
"All the kids and now D Howard has a man? Clearly he is addicted to sex. "
48 minutes ago
Sheli commented on Eleven8's blog post Did Dwight Howard Give His Boo Chandler Parsons A Ferrari?
"Chandler, is a cutie, so at least Dwight has good taste. I'd let him drive my car, lol"
54 minutes ago
Lala25 replied to SMSLove's discussion Maca Root for Energy
"Was anyone on maca while on birth control?? do you think it would counter the effects?"
1 hour ago
Miss Elle replied to Miss Elle's discussion American Advice Needed!
"Thanks for the advice ladies, you've both give me alot to think about, I appreciate the…"
1 hour ago
Mamichulaerica joined OUT OF CONTROL's group
Thumbnail

WHO DON'T WANT A BALLER!

This group is for all the FLY ladies and gents that keep their hair done, shape up tight and pussy…See More
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video