Cornell West & Raheem Devaughn Arrested For Protesting

Raheem Devaughn and Cornell West was arrested in front of the Supreme Court yesterday for protesting for Occupy DC.

========

Occupy DC is a peaceful grassroots movement that are fed up with the current political and economical system in this nation. We are an independent branch from occupytogether.org and occupywallst.org but carry the same terminology and philosophy. Occupy DC focuses on spreading the idea of Occupy Together and Occupy Wall Street in our nations capital Washington DC.

Why?

• 45 million Americans depend on food stamps.
  • 14 million (9.1%) Americans are officially recorded as unemployed.
  • 1 out 5 children lives in poverty in the United States.
  • In 2010 14.5% (1 out of 7) of households were food insecure.
  • In 2010 46.2 million Americans live in poverty, up from 37.3 in 2007.
  • 15.4 live in extreme poverty (income less than half of the poverty line, or less than $10,000 a year for a family of four).
  • 45 million (1 out of 7) Americans don’t have medical insurance.
  • Corporations have huge influence in financial institutions our government. They donate million of dollars to our politicians which in return make laws that favor them.
  • Corporations have the same legal rights as a person- Corporate personhood.
  • According to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., bank profits in the first quarter of this year were “the best for the industry since the $36.8 billion earned in the second quarter of 2007.” JP Morgan Chase is currently pulling in record profits.
  • Due to the failure of small competitors and mergers facilitated during the 2008 crisis, the nation’s biggest banks — including Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, and Wells Fargo — are now bigger than they were pre-recession. Pre-crisis, the four biggest banks held 32% of total deposits; now they hold nearly 40 percent.
  • Banks, including Bank of America, Barclays, Goldman Sachs, and Credit Suisse, are planning to lay off tens of thousands of workers.
  • The four biggest banks issue 50 percent of mortgages and 66 percent of credit cards: Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo and Citigroup issue one out of every two mortgages and nearly two out of every three credit cards in America.
  • The 10 biggest banks hold 60 percent of bank assets: In the 1980s, the 10 biggest banks controlled 22 percent of total bank assets. Today, they control 60 percent.
  • Banks cost households nearly $20 trillion in wealth: Almost $20 trillion in wealth was destroyed by the Great Recession, and total family wealth is still down “$12.8 trillion (in 2011 dollars) from June 2007 — its last peak.”
  • Big banks don’t lend to small businesses: The New Rules Project notes that the country’s 20 biggest banks “devote only 18 percent of their commercial loan portfolios to small business.”
  • Big banks paid 5,000 bonuses of at least $1 million in 2008: According to the New York Attorney General’s office, “nine of the financial firms that were among the largest recipients of federal bailout money paid about 5,000 of their traders and bankers bonuses of more than $1 million apiece for 2008.”

Tags: cornell west, raheem devaughn

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im surprised no one has commented on this post yet,  occupy wallstreet has actually turned in occupy the  planet! lol it has spread to Tokyo,London,and other us cities.People are tired being out of work and the banks keep coming up with these outrageous fees...People just want to be heard I guess...

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues. No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

The biggest issue in the USA is bank reform. How did the gov't let these people get away with these outrageous mortgage terms without going unchecked??

I read "Arrested" and thought what else is new? lol Then I came back and read the whole title. Wow! Good for them! I love the fact that this is going global and just as I thought there are a few violent protests here and there. It is gonna get worse before it gets better and the wealthy, no rich, but wealthy folk have no one but themselves to blame.

Shaq = rich

The guy who pays Shaq = Wealthy

$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.

OLD $PICE PINE NEEDLE said:

@MG, the real problem is 'career politicians' who keep getting campaign donations from the rich and corporations so the can be re-elected to keep passing laws that benefit them.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues.  No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

That's what I told my friend last night, and that's where blogs/twitter/FB comes in. If blogs ignore entertainment for a day and focused on that there will be a true change.

CCDreamer aka Eve Davis said:
$picey, their message is loud and clear. The media, owned by the wealthy, just isn't trying very hard to communicate their message.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues.  No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

1. has he been released? 2. do i need to send some dr. bronner lavendar soap to where he's being held?
He bet not be in there making them tingle...

maxwells_musze said:
1. has he been released? 2. do i need to send some dr. bronner lavendar soap to where he's being held?
It is coming $picey. Give it time. Too many people still comfortable with the status quo. Still satisfied debating instead of doing something. Change is coming.

That's what I told my friend last night, and that's where blogs/twitter/FB comes in. If blogs ignore entertainment for a day and focused on that there will be a true change.

So THIS IS THE CHANGE Obama was talking about. It took a blk prez to give the world some balls? No wonder they want him out of office. lol

Y'all better give the Dems the majority they need in 2012 to make these changes a reality.

It is coming $picey. Give it time. Too many people still comfortable with the status quo. Still satisfied debating instead of doing something. Change is coming.

I get the real issue is that everyone is fed up, but make sure this 'occupy' (world spring/arab spring) is dealing with the real issues. No one has a clear message, they need to get back to the grass roots where government should be for ALL citizens, not just a select few.

And back to Cornell West, he understands the hurdles our Prez is facing (getting the rich to pay more taxes, which is what they're protesting for)  and still he goes in on him. He should be using his platform to education the public on how politics really works.
He won't do that. That means less money for Cornell if he's not out causing a ruckus. Why be amongst the people who cannot pay you for your wisdom when you can get on TV, talk trash about the POTUS and get paid to do it. I think some black revolutionaries can't handle having a black president. You can still fight the establishment without putting Obama down. He is not the cause of America's current problems, but you can get out there and find support to help the president fix things.

And back to Cornell West, he understands the hurdles our Prez is facing (getting the rich to pay more taxes, which is what they're protesting for)  and still he goes in on him. He should be using his platform to education the public on how politics really works.

i completely agree!

Ms. Ashley Banks said:

He won't do that. That means less money for Cornell if he's not out causing a ruckus. Why be amongst the people who cannot pay you for your wisdom when you can get on TV, talk trash about the POTUS and get paid to do it. I think some black revolutionaries can't handle having a black president. You can still fight the establishment without putting Obama down. He is not the cause of America's current problems, but you can get out there and find support to help the president fix things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect

BallerBoards

Who's Going to the The Chris Brown and Trey Songz concert in ATL!?

Started by Natasha Thomas in Talk Ish. Last reply by Natasha Thomas 10 hours ago. 2 Replies

I'm Going to The BTS Tour in Atlanta and my bestfriend and I Got separate seats across the stadium from each other so I want to know if any gorgeous girlies were going to be there so we can meet and…Continue

Heeeyyyy new to Baller Alert and looking to meet new friends! :)

Started by Natasha Thomas in Talk Ish. Last reply by Natasha Thomas 10 hours ago. 4 Replies

Hi everyone my name is Natasha i am 20 and i model, new to this site i love reading blogs so i just thought hey why not sign up.!! lol i love to have fun and meet new people as well as read and talk…Continue

MEMEBER UPDATE......

Started by DJ - A.K.A - DON_JUAN in Talk Ish. Last reply by imani 11 hours ago. 41 Replies

this is to piggy back off the fokls saying people mia, s*** aint da same, etc.what has everybody been up too??i'll start...just working and trying to decide if i to want accept another position at…Continue

Tags: do, it, what, update, memeber

Mardi Gras 2015

Started by Ashley T in Talk Ish. Last reply by imani 11 hours ago. 5 Replies

Has anyone been? How is it? I am thinking about goingContinue

Latest Activity

Profile IconDarlene Whitby, TLO, Sunnie dawnn and 3 more joined Baller Alert.com
28 minutes ago
SoLuscious commented on Eleven8's blog post Leah Still's Mother Says Devon Still Hasn't Paid Child Support Since August
"@11 ur so right."
44 minutes ago
Milagros Reyes's 2 blog posts were featured
1 hour ago
Milagros Reyes posted blog posts
1 hour ago
Asimplebijou posted a blog post

Baller Alert's Morning Wood: Jason Derulo (Singer)

Who said men were the only ones to catch a woodie in the AM? Women think about sex just as much if…See More
1 hour ago
Asimplebijou's blog post was featured

Baller Alert's Morning Wood: Jason Derulo (Singer)

Who said men were the only ones to catch a woodie in the AM? Women think about sex just as much if…See More
1 hour ago
Marsha commented on Eleven8's blog post Leah Still's Mother Says Devon Still Hasn't Paid Child Support Since August
"There's no reason for him not to pay child support. Men outside of the NFL pay insurance and…"
3 hours ago
Natasha Thomas replied to Natasha Thomas's discussion Who's Going to the The Chris Brown and Trey Songz concert in ATL!?
"Omg awesome ! Where are your seats and how old are you !? And do you do your own make up?? Read…"
10 hours ago
Natasha Thomas replied to Natasha Thomas's discussion Heeeyyyy new to Baller Alert and looking to meet new friends! :)
"Thank you! I'm in the Florida area but go to ATL often :) "
10 hours ago
Natasha Thomas replied to Natasha Thomas's discussion Heeeyyyy new to Baller Alert and looking to meet new friends! :)
"Omg dope I was born there ! I live in a city 3 hours away from there now! "
10 hours ago
Niko Rose commented on Eleven8's blog post Baller Mail - Tony Carter of the Denver Broncos Enjoys Wild Orgy-Filled Pool Parties
"Usually when more females show up then men... That's a red flag"
11 hours ago
imani replied to DJ - A.K.A - DON_JUAN's discussion MEMEBER UPDATE......
"Well I'm new to BA so im not sure how the old BA was hopefully I get to find out! I just been…"
11 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video