Hey ballers and groupies.......I saw this and wondered if there is any additional background to this story...found it on Sports Illustrated (you have to scroll down to see it on the page, half way through)

--------------------------

Peter King for SI.com

(Posted: Monday January 18, 2010 8:39AM; Updated: Monday January 18, 2010 12:42PM)

If In the past few days, I've spoken to sources on both sides of the labor talks, and I've come to the conclusion that it'll be an upset if there isn't a work stoppage that either delays or cancels the 2011 season. Many of us in the media have speculated about the chances for a lockout and predicted one is coming, but the total lack of progress over the nut issue in 11 bargaining sessions tells me unless there's a sea-change by one side or the other, you'd better savor the 2010 season because it could be the last football we see for a while.

At the core of the problem is ownership's demand for players to bear an equal part of the cost for stadium construction, debt service and upkeep -- and the players saying it's not their problem. In NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith's recent e-mail to player representatives, he startled player leaders by saying ownership wanted to cut player compensation by 18 percent per year in the new CBA.

I thought the 18 percent number might be an exaggeration, a scare tactic to get players' attention. It's not. The owners, one management source said, have asked that the players' pool of revenue against which the salary cap is calculated be reduced by 18 percent.

The players' response, a union source told me, is that they're not prepared to take a penny, or a percentage point, less. While Smith, in his letter to players, didn't dismiss the possibility of negotiating on the issue, he wrote that there has been no compelling information presented to players to justify such a major reduction in what players make.

You wonder what 18 percent means. So did I. The management source said the owners want $1 billion a year credited to ownership and not subject to being part of the pie that the players divide.

"There's obviously been an enormous shift from public financing of stadiums to private funding,'' the management source said. "Those costs are not recognized in the current CBA, and we feel that has to change.''

The league has beat this drum for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some give-and-take in the owners' demands, because this is collective bargaining, but I would be surprised if the owners drop this as a demand altogether. They're just too dug-in on it.

But from the players' perspective, it's got to be a tough sell to union leaders. Imagine Smith going into a union meeting at a team and telling the players that the average compensation to the men in this room is about $1.8 million this year in salary and bonus payments, and explaining to them in a time of bountiful success for the NFL, each of the players is going to have to take, on average, a $324,000 pay cut. The players will never go for that, absent the owners being able to prove they're losing money in a time of unparalleled wealth in the league.

At some point, serious talks will start, with each side compromising. But I can't see the two sides bridging this chasm anytime soon.

---------------------------------

Say word? So any validity to this? Should we soak up this upcoming pro bowl and superbowl for all it's worth?

Chime in to dish if you're in the mix and have heard anything as well? 

Tags: 2010, 2011, NFL, broke, depression, football, management, owners, players, recession, More…season

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is some truth to this. The NFL is just a slave system using these men's blood sweat & tears and making billions off of it. They have little concern for the man compared to the concern they show with how he performs. Most men in the NFL don't make Reggie Bush or Peyton Manning money, and they make theirs off endorsements. The average run of the mill football player makes on average about $500,000 give or take depending on their athleticism and celebrity. Don't forget the MANY fines imposed on players for simple things like tweeting or celebrating a touchdown, and these fines aren't little.
Devyn is right, of all professional athletes, football players are paid the LEAST & it isn't guaranteed...

the local radio station (Wilmington, NC) basically said on Monday that the fans should prepare for a lockout... Remember the NBA lockout a few years back... I remember when it happened, but I do not recall the year... Jordan was still playing though... but I remember the season was basically cut in half...
Yeah...The reason why the NBA is so much better is because they have fans all around the world...You even have players from the States traveling everywhere to play ball overseas and those guys make millions..

It's sad and I don't agree at all, but a lot of countries consider football to be soccer and they're just not that interested...That's why the NFL is doing these games in London and such now trying to develop a wider fan base...I think NFL players deserve better pay because of what their bodies go through...Also have to remember that NBA players aren't wearing pads, helmets or whatnot to protect them from injuries...I remember watching Joe Johnson (currently of the Hawks) take a terrible collision and head was swollen as hell and was just laid out...Players teeth getting knocked out, shoulders being dislocated and plus they're playing 82 games a season, not including playoffs...

I really hate how the NFL do things...And to make it even worse, they've taken the fun out of the game as well...

Devyn AKA Dominique Devereaux said:
The NFL is by no means broke - they're GREEDY! If I'm not mistaken NFL players are among the lowest paid in professional sports and now the owners want them to take a paycut to fund state of the art stadiums? Greed -- plain and simple.
They don't provide good aftercare for players when they're no longer able to play because of concussions and major injuries, their marketing compared to the NBA SUCKS (eventhough football is the number one sport in America) and again the players are paid scraps in comparison to other professional athletes though the sport is the most physical. NFL players don't get endorsement deals thrown @ them like basketball players so to ask them to take 18% less so the owners can pocket more (and do what exactly with?) Is RIDICULOUS!
They are truly wasting money trying to expand into Europe. I watched that game, the commentators were giving it their all, but the people in the stands looked a little bored.

I noticed they kept showing the representatives from the NFL, and they were rehashing their key poins over and over, how they'd received such a great welcome and response from the people of England and how they can't wait to bring the NFL there. They were lying through their teeth and it showed.

The new Cowboys Stadium is nice, but to me, it's overkill. Call me old-fashioned, but there's nothing like a Friday night football game, outside in the stadium, exposed to the elements. It's like pro football has lost it's sense of where it came from. A humble sport for the everyman to enjoy, not some glitzy production. Jerry Jones swindled the people of Arlington, TX, and they will end up paying more than they expect to for that stadium.

Damnstraight said:
Yeah...The reason why the NBA is so much better is because they have fans all around the world...You even have players from the States traveling everywhere to play ball overseas and those guys make millions..

It's sad and I don't agree at all, but a lot of countries consider football to be soccer and they're just not that interested...That's why the NFL is doing these games in London and such now trying to develop a wider fan base...I think NFL players deserve better pay because of what their bodies go through...Also have to remember that NBA players aren't wearing pads, helmets or whatnot to protect them from injuries...I remember watching Joe Johnson (currently of the Hawks) take a terrible collision and head was swollen as hell and was just laid out...Players teeth getting knocked out, shoulders being dislocated and plus they're playing 82 games a season, not including playoffs...

I really hate how the NFL do things...And to make it even worse, they've taken the fun out of the game as well...

Devyn AKA Dominique Devereaux said:
The NFL is by no means broke - they're GREEDY! If I'm not mistaken NFL players are among the lowest paid in professional sports and now the owners want them to take a paycut to fund state of the art stadiums? Greed -- plain and simple.
They don't provide good aftercare for players when they're no longer able to play because of concussions and major injuries, their marketing compared to the NBA SUCKS (eventhough football is the number one sport in America) and again the players are paid scraps in comparison to other professional athletes though the sport is the most physical. NFL players don't get endorsement deals thrown @ them like basketball players so to ask them to take 18% less so the owners can pocket more (and do what exactly with?) Is RIDICULOUS!
What do they mean broke! If they got somebody in there with a degree in simple eco101 the Redskins and several other teams wouldn't have to be sueing their season ticket holders and if they dropped their prices slightly true sports fans could go to the games. Yes quality over quinty always applies except in this case. SUPPLY AND DEMAND PEOPLE.
More than likely most of the owners lost money in that downward spiral (better known as a crash) the stock market went through. Let us not forget Madoff. I've never seen a list of his victims but they were the cream of the crop. They are doing what greedy rich people always do, trying to make their money back off of the backs and sweat of others. JMHO
I would like to retract my statement reguarding ticket sells. Unless they're digitly adding people the Probowl looks PACKED. And I know tickets were well over $500.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect

BallerBoards

I usually date only white women...

Started by AllyNWonderland in Talk Ish. Last reply by Nicole 3 hours ago. 51 Replies

This isn't really for advice, just a recent story.I met this guy, we'll call him Tom. Tom is a divorced black 37 year old fire fighter with a 2 year old son and I spoke briefly on the phone and he…Continue

Wayment?!?! WHAT? This fool chopped of his own Peen?

Started by Siren in Talk Ish. Last reply by Brown Skin Beauty 4 hours ago. 6 Replies

A rapper who worked with members of the group Wu-Tang Clan cut off his penis and jumped from a second floor balcony in an apparent suicide attempt,…Continue

The Sweetest Taboo

Started by Ginger McKenna in Talk Ish. Last reply by Ginger McKenna 6 hours ago. 16 Replies

Hey I know a few of you all were checking out my series on my blog called "Is It Bad?" and I appreciate the support. I have completed that series and sent it off to a few publishing companies (wish…Continue

Latest Activity

DiamondsNPearls and BlkButtafly are now friends
1 hour ago
Moving In Silence commented on Eleven8's blog post Floyd Mayweather Makes A Stripped Down Miss Jackson His #WCW
"Seems like somebody's panties are in a bunch."
1 hour ago
Down South Diva commented on Eleven8's blog post Floyd Mayweather Makes A Stripped Down Miss Jackson His #WCW
"He's annoying..I just want Shantel to make it since he's trying so hard to break her"
2 hours ago
Down South Diva commented on Peachkyss's blog post Ballerific Fashion: Rita Ora In DSquared² Fall 2014 White Neoprene Dress, Matching Cape Coat, and Jeremy Scott Adidas Ankle Boots
"I wonder what brand of lipstick she's wearing..her red lip always looks flawless"
2 hours ago
Down South Diva commented on Eleven8's blog post Dwight Howard Has A Man Crush On Teammate Chandler Parsons
"Chandler is so fine...me and my girls all say he's like the robin thicke of basketball"
2 hours ago
Ginger McKenna commented on Eleven8's blog post Floyd Mayweather Makes A Stripped Down Miss Jackson His #WCW
"This dude is such a darn b!tch. Like my dude are you serious? He is acting worse than a woman…"
3 hours ago
Nicole commented on Peachkyss's blog post Ballerific Fashion: Zoe Kravitz Attends Jimmy Choo's Choo .08 Launch In T by Alexander Wang Rib Knit 2 Way Zip Cropped Tank and Cotton Rib Knit Long Skirt
"I have a girl crush on Emmy she is so cute lol"
3 hours ago
Nicole commented on Eleven8's blog post Miley Cyrus Thinks Mike Will Made It Is "Disgusting" & "Murderous"
"Right @SoLuscious"
3 hours ago
Nicole commented on Peachkyss's blog post Ballerific Fashion: Rita Ora In DSquared² Fall 2014 White Neoprene Dress, Matching Cape Coat, and Jeremy Scott Adidas Ankle Boots
"Damn Rita put some grease on them rusty ass knees and I hate. Sneaker heels. But the outfit…"
3 hours ago
Nicole replied to AllyNWonderland's discussion I usually date only white women...
""I think to teach a man to hate himself is much more criminal than teaching him to hate…"
3 hours ago
Eleven8 shared their blog post on Twitter
3 hours ago
Eleven8's 6 blog posts were featured
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video