Where did the Haiti relief money go honest thoughts please..

It has been a year since a tragic earthquake left Haiti devastated and killed more than 300,000 people. Despite more than $1.4 billion in relief aid donated, little progress can be seen in the country and people are asking: Where’d the money go

PORT-AU-PRINCE—Last January, hundreds of thousands of Haitians lost their lives and millions lost their homes in an earthquake that flattened much of the capital. A year later, Haitians appear to have lost something else: hope.

The impoverished Caribbean nation marks the anniversary of the Jan. 12, 2010, quake on Wednesday with little to cheer. Haiti’s government, which itself was hit hard by the quake, has been incapable of responding to the crisis. Foreign aid has trickled in, and a rush of well-meaning charities have led to chaos.

Piles of rubble still clog the streets; at the current rate, it will take 20 years simply to clean up the mess. Nearly a million people still live in about 1,300 makeshift refugee camps that occupy every available parking lot and open space in the capital. With each passing day, the camps take on a more permanent look.

“We are just completely discouraged now,” said Fai-na Bernadette, a 24-year-old nurse who has been living in a soccer field in Petionville, a suburb of the capital, alongside 3,000 other refugees.

Carleene Dei, director of the United States Agency for International Development told reporters in a January 7 conference call that there was a “lack of understanding” about the pace at which pledges from March’s donors conference could be met, referring to the UN conference where nations pledged more than $10 billion to help Haiti rebuild itself.

“A pledge is not a check,” she said. “A pledge has to be turned into legislation. Legislation has to be turned into plans. Plans have to be vetted and approved. And money has to be made available.”

Tragic

Bit from bossip

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“A pledge has to be turned into legislation. Legislation has to be turned into plans. Plans have to be vetted and approved.>>this is a b******* answer! The funds are there and items are held in customs for months waiting for clearance by the government. If they cared for these people they would get their act together and get things going.  They want to see what they can get for themselves.

Not all of Haiti was hit by the quake. If those passing 'legislation'  were affected you bet your a$$ they would be on it ASAP!

@SPICE- you are absoultely right. 

Because it's not affecting them directly, they are not getting the ball rolling and getting things done.

This article below shows more of the BS excuses they have to why funds have not been used properly and why some progress has not been made.

http://http://www.thenation.com/article/157646/haiti-wheres-money

It just ridiculous.

@ Spice... I agree, also I think they are missing the man power that will go and actually help them rebuild. With all the disease and death going on people are afraid to go down for long periods of time. They also need to offer the haitians payment to rebuild the country and their lives.

They have all the manpower they need right there. Get outside help to teach the people how to build houses, etc. But if you empower (educate & improve their economic situation) the people those who are used to power & privilege will not want that. Sad in this day and age how our people hold us back.

MissBling said:

@ Spice... I agree, also I think they are missing the man power that will go and actually help them rebuild. With all the disease and death going on people are afraid to go down for long periods of time. They also need to offer the haitians payment to rebuild the country and their lives.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect

BallerBoards

i just joined seekingarrangement.com

Started by SoLuscious in Talk Ish. Last reply by DCSugarDaddy 13 minutes ago. 269 Replies

on the site you can select the range of money you expect every month, so i selected $3,000-$5,000 a month. but a lot of those women are seeking much more. im super nervous about what will become of…Continue

Tags: dating, website, arrangement, seeking, daddy

Mimi & Nikko Got Paid...

Started by Baller Alert in Talk Ish. Last reply by Moving In Silence 45 minutes ago. 13 Replies

100k for the Scandal In Atlanta P0rn TapeContinue

Tags: nikko, mimi, bbwatl

B. Scott Loses Lawsuit Against BET

Started by Baller Alert in Talk Ish. Last reply by University of Smitty yesterday. 12 Replies

BET can dress its hosts however the hell it wants -- even if that means forcing a transgender person to dress like a man -- and that's why the judge threw out B. Scott's discrimination lawsuit.TMZ…Continue

Tags: scott, b

I usually date only white women...

Started by AllyNWonderland in Talk Ish. Last reply by Diwan Moor yesterday. 66 Replies

This isn't really for advice, just a recent story.I met this guy, we'll call him Tom. Tom is a divorced black 37 year old fire fighter with a 2 year old son and I spoke briefly on the phone and he…Continue

Latest Activity

DCSugarDaddy replied to SoLuscious's discussion i just joined seekingarrangement.com
"Attraction may not be a requirement for all Sugar Babies. But one reason I mention it is because…"
13 minutes ago
lilmisstoyt updated their profile
33 minutes ago
Brown Skin Beauty replied to SoLuscious's discussion i just joined seekingarrangement.com
"Not all millionaires are flashy...and as far as attractive, that's not a requirement for all…"
44 minutes ago
Moving In Silence replied to Baller Alert's discussion Mimi & Nikko Got Paid...
"Is that together or a piece? Either way she got robbed."
45 minutes ago
DCSugarDaddy replied to SoLuscious's discussion i just joined seekingarrangement.com
"Haha, good one.! "
48 minutes ago
Brown Skin Beauty replied to SoLuscious's discussion i just joined seekingarrangement.com
"And I was believing Romney when he said middle class was $250,000 plus..."
48 minutes ago
mese commented on Eleven8's blog post Sage The Gemini Implies Kaylin Garcia Cheated On Him, Then Takes It Back
"Gemini men are crazy and bipolar and never make any sense I say that because my now e is a Gemini…"
52 minutes ago
DCSugarDaddy and Moving In Silence are now friends
52 minutes ago
"Sure, there are millionaires who are willing to pay that amount.  But, like I said, there are…"
1 hour ago
"Hmm, I think I understand what you're saying.  And I agree. I think SD/SB relationship…"
1 hour ago
"But if you are willing to give up $1250 of your income monthly what makes you think a millionaire…"
1 hour ago
Bonita replied to SoLuscious's discussion i just joined seekingarrangement.com
"The premise of a sb/sd has been diluted. I hate to say it but there are levels to sugaring. "
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Baller Alert.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video