Where did the Haiti relief money go honest thoughts please..

It has been a year since a tragic earthquake left Haiti devastated and killed more than 300,000 people. Despite more than $1.4 billion in relief aid donated, little progress can be seen in the country and people are asking: Where’d the money go

PORT-AU-PRINCE—Last January, hundreds of thousands of Haitians lost their lives and millions lost their homes in an earthquake that flattened much of the capital. A year later, Haitians appear to have lost something else: hope.

The impoverished Caribbean nation marks the anniversary of the Jan. 12, 2010, quake on Wednesday with little to cheer. Haiti’s government, which itself was hit hard by the quake, has been incapable of responding to the crisis. Foreign aid has trickled in, and a rush of well-meaning charities have led to chaos.

Piles of rubble still clog the streets; at the current rate, it will take 20 years simply to clean up the mess. Nearly a million people still live in about 1,300 makeshift refugee camps that occupy every available parking lot and open space in the capital. With each passing day, the camps take on a more permanent look.

“We are just completely discouraged now,” said Fai-na Bernadette, a 24-year-old nurse who has been living in a soccer field in Petionville, a suburb of the capital, alongside 3,000 other refugees.

Carleene Dei, director of the United States Agency for International Development told reporters in a January 7 conference call that there was a “lack of understanding” about the pace at which pledges from March’s donors conference could be met, referring to the UN conference where nations pledged more than $10 billion to help Haiti rebuild itself.

“A pledge is not a check,” she said. “A pledge has to be turned into legislation. Legislation has to be turned into plans. Plans have to be vetted and approved. And money has to be made available.”

Tragic

Bit from bossip

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@SPICE- you are absoultely right. 

Because it's not affecting them directly, they are not getting the ball rolling and getting things done.

This article below shows more of the BS excuses they have to why funds have not been used properly and why some progress has not been made.

http://http://www.thenation.com/article/157646/haiti-wheres-money

It just ridiculous.

@ Spice... I agree, also I think they are missing the man power that will go and actually help them rebuild. With all the disease and death going on people are afraid to go down for long periods of time. They also need to offer the haitians payment to rebuild the country and their lives.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

BallerBoards

That walk across the stage.

Started by Student Beauty in Talk Ish. Last reply by EmpressSoDivine 20 hours ago. 2 Replies

Hello,I hope everyone has been well. I really miss you all. But, guess what? Finally, I am graduating with my Bachelors in CIS.. Yes! Jesus was my caseworker. I can remember when my stupid ex would…Continue

Chris Brown's Stalker Gets Arrested Again At His Home

Started by Asimplebijou in Talk Ish yesterday. 0 Replies

Seems as if #ChrisBrown just can't catch a break when it comes to his obsessed fans. For the second time, a fan has been arrested for trespassing at Brown's home.Officers say #DaniellePatti waited…Continue

KRS-One Doesn't 'Give A F**k' About The Afrika Bambaataa Sex Abuse Allegations

Started by Asimplebijou in Talk Ish on Saturday. 0 Replies

KRS-One has a different perspective on the sexual abuse allegations that have been brought forward against #AfrikaBambaataa.During an interview on the "Drink Champs" podcast, the Bronx emcee said "if…Continue

Oakland Raiders Possibly Moving to Las Vegas

Started by Asimplebijou in Talk Ish on Saturday. 0 Replies

#MarkDavis, owner of the #OaklandRaiders, is now considering moving the team to sin city. Davis appeared at the Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee and talked about possibly moving the…Continue

Latest Activity

Niko Rose posted a blog post
32 minutes ago
Niko Rose's blog post was featured
32 minutes ago
Moving In Silence commented on Eleven8's blog post Special Cloth Alert: DJ Khaled Is Going To Be A Dad
"Congratulations DJ Khaled!!!"
2 hours ago
B Thang commented on Eleven8's blog post Blac Chyna Threatens Law Suit If Sex Tape With Tyga Is Leaked
"What a coincidence now that the stupid show just premiered this weekend. Girl BYE!"
3 hours ago
Denise Love commented on Eleven8's blog post Ray Rice & Wife Janay Expecting Baby #2
"how humiliating."
6 hours ago
Denise Love commented on Eleven8's blog post Blac Chyna Threatens Law Suit If Sex Tape With Tyga Is Leaked
"These sex tapes aren't played out yet??? So corny."
6 hours ago
SoLuscious commented on Eleven8's blog post Blac Chyna Threatens Law Suit If Sex Tape With Tyga Is Leaked
"*rolling my eyes*"
7 hours ago
SoLuscious commented on Eleven8's blog post Ray Rice & Wife Janay Expecting Baby #2
"How sad.....those poor kids."
7 hours ago
Peachkyss posted blog posts
7 hours ago
Peachkyss's 3 blog posts were featured
7 hours ago
Eleven8's 5 blog posts were featured
8 hours ago
Eleven8 posted blog posts
8 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Baller Alert.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service