Ladies, These Summer Rolls are one of all time favorite dishes. The are healthy fresh and light. I will eat a plate of these in lieu of a meal. They are a great hit ith peanut sauce (I will post a recipe for an easy one) or Fish Sauce (which can be bought in any Asian Market. These are a peferct starter for any party and impressive when you are asked to bring a dish to a cookout or other function. You will need some counter space to prepare these. Be careful when soaking the ricepapaer don;t wet them too much they are easy to rip (be sure to have extras on hand just in case!)
1 generous cup lettuce (I use butter lettuce)
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup rice vermicelli noodles (DO NOT OVER COOK!!!!!!!!!!!)
1/2 cup shredded carrot ( I cheat I buy them from Whole Foods already Julienned)
4 green onions, cut into 3" pieces
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil (Use Thai Basil if available!)
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1lb cooked shrimp, ( I like to use Large-Jumbo May have to cut them)
8 8” round sheets rice paper
1. Prepare all your ingredients and set into piles close to your work surface.
2. Set about 1" of hot tap water in a shallow dish that is a little bigger than the rice paper wrappers (I used a round cake pan).
3. Prepare your work surface with a couple of layers of paper towel in order to absorb the excess water from the wrappers.
4. One at a time dip the wrapper in the water. Hold each one in the water until softened (over soaking might make them easier to rip). After one or two, you'll get a feel for how soaked they should be.
5. Set the wrapper down on your paper towel and at one end stack the ingredients: noodles , shrimp , then the rest of the herbs & veggies
6. Roll burrito style. Fold the bottom up, sides in, and then roll the rest of the way. Spray with cooking spray if you are making ahead (very lightly - you don't want them to feel greasy).
7. I cut in half if I am serving at home. otherwise pile in a tray with a layer of saran wrap or wax paper put moist paper twels over the top so they don't dry out.
1 1/2 cups CRUNCHY (if you want you can use creamy I prefer the texture of crunchy) peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a bowl, mix the peanut butter, coconut milk, water, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, hot sauce, ginger, and garlic. Mix in the cilantro just before serving.